Sometimes when troubleshooting issues PaperCut Support may ask you to pause a Windows print queue to make a copy of the Windows spool files used for printing. This can help us diagnose issues related to print analysis and other problems.
How to save Windows spool files manually
- Log into the Windows print server.
- Open Print Management by pressing Windows key + R , then type printmanagement.msc and hit the enter key.
- Right-click on the printer you want to manage and click Pause Printing.
- Print a document that demonstrates the problem (normally from a workstation).
- On the print server, navigate to
C:\Windows\System32\Spool\PRINTERS\ and look for the .SPL and .SHD files where the timestamp matches the time of the print job.
- Copy and rename these files to a descriptive name like “testprint-3pages-2color-1bw.spl”.