What happens when/if I exceed my license limit?
PaperCut is licensed on the number of user accounts hosted in the PaperCut database - that is the number of users listed in the user-list under the Users section. If this limit is exceeded the system will:
i) Give you over one months warning granting you lots of time to reduce the count if possible. The warning message will display on every admin login during this period. You can also set up the application to automatically email you if/when the license is exceeded. See the Options -> Notifications section.
ii) After the warning time is up, and if the user count has not been reduced, the system will prevent selected administration tasks. Printing and tracking will however continue as normal and you will not lose any data. The reduced functionality will however require you to secure an increased license or reduce your user count. You'll be able to access the
Options -> User/Group Sync section to modify user sync settings.
I have exceeded my license. How can I address this?
If PaperCut detects that you have exceeded your licence, the software:
For 5 users free license: will request a registration key and prevent use.
For other licenses: will warn that an additional license is required and needs to be entered within the next 40-days.
The options available are:
Option 1) Purchase a license to cover the extra users. There is no need to purchase a whole new license. The cost will be just the difference between your current license and the new one required
Option 2) Reduce the number of users listed in the system (see below).
Reducing the number of user accounts in PaperCut
Method 1) PaperCut
works by "mirroring" the user list in your network domain. Delete inactive or unused user accounts of the network, then perform a sync with the "delete users" option enabled. For example, maybe accounts used by people that have left the organization. After removing the accounts, perform a full user sync. In PaperCut
NG and ChargeBack
, this option is available via
and make sure you select the option
Delete users that do not exist in the selected source
while performing the sync. PaperCut
NG / ChargeBack
also have the option to not import disabled Active Directory users
Method 2) Some accounts may not be used by real users. They may exist for other reasons such as:
- Used by special applications such as databases or web servers
- "Template" accounts used by system administrators
- "Virtual" accounts used to represent "resources" in applications such as Microsoft Outlook.
In this situation we recommend instructing PaperCut
to import a sub-set users from a network domain group rather then the whole user list. To do this:
1. Important: We first recommend taking a backup of the important user data, by performing a backup under
Options -> Backups -> Backup Now
2. Create a new group called PaperCut Users (note: this can be any name and in fact you may already have a suitable group.). This is done as the domain or Active Directory level using the appropriate user/group management tools. (e.g. Active Directory Users and Computers). If you are running on a Mac or Linux you should create the group using the appropriate tools, e.g. your LDAP server tools.
3. Add the real user accounts that need to be listed in PaperCut to this group. Tip: If you're using Active Directory you can make use of nested groups. For example, in a school you my choose to add the Student and Staff groups as nested groups.
4. Instruct PaperCut to import users from this group only by selecting the Import users from group:. In PaperCut NG / ChargeBack, you'll find the option under
Options -> User/Group Sync -> Synchronize Now. Note: We recommend performing a Test operation prior to the final sync.
5. Set permissions on the printers monitored by PaperCut so only the users in the selected group have print access. This will ensure that accidental use of printers by other users (or inappropriate accounts) are not re-added back in PaperCut.
If you have any problems with the process explained above, please feel free to email our support team.
If you have a list of users that can't be removed from the system, it is possible to remove these users in PaperCut
NG / ChargeBack
using a script utilizing server-command
. Here is an example Windows batch file:
cd c:\Program Files\PaperCut NG\server\bin\win
server-command delete-existing-user chris
server-command delete-existing-user matt
server-command delete-existing-user tom
server-command delete-existing-user christine
This script based approach is useful in a higher-education environment as often deleting the user account from the domain is difficult or maybe against policy. Note that this script has to be run not just once, but again after each sync (e.g. after automated overnight sync) as sync adds all the deleted users from the directory again. It is therefore only an interim solution until the physical account can be removed.
What if I can't reduce the number of users in my Sync Source?
If for technical reasons, the number of users can not be reduced using option 2 (e.g. you are unable to create a suitable group), you may apply for a license exception. Please email our sales team and explain your situation. We need your request in writing (email is fine). Organization's who are issued an exception may be requested run a report once a year to verify that the active user count remains below the license limit - active count being defined as the number of users that print at least once a year. More information on apply for an exception can be found in, Apply for a license exception.
Is there any technical limit on the number of users?
PaperCut has no design limit. The maximum number of users is a function of hardware and system capacity - a constantly moving target as computers get faster. Our largest user has over 350,000 users in the database.
What if I am in a small office and have 5 users or less printing?
If you are in a small office and only have five users or less printing you can follow these steps:
1. Open a command prompt.
2. Change to the PaperCut directory using
cd c:\Program Files\PaperCut NG\server\bin\win
server-command delete-existing-user <username>
4. Repeat as necessary.
Then on the PaperCut administration console, on the Options tab, under User/group Sync, un-check the check box from Import new users and update details overnight. This will stop PaperCut from re-importing the accounts you just deleted, so you will only need to delete the accounts once. If you need to add new users at a later time you will want to manually add new users on the Users Tab of the Admin console.